In the UK, the recommended retail price for the D5 AWD Momentum is GB£45,000. The new model is available to order from next month, following the reveal at the 2014 Paris Motor Show, with customer deliveries in May 2015.
In France, prices will start from 49 900 euros.Engines Early official press information indicates that the new XC90 will offer a range of two-litre, four-cylinder Drive-E powertrains (Drive-E engines are being gradually introduced across Volvo’s range), two petrol (gasoline) and two diesel ones, crowned at the top by the 400 hp XC90 ‘T8’ Twin Engine version, which, as the Swedish brand underlines, is the world’s first 7-seat plug-in hybrid.
The early available information about these engines in the new XC90 lists:
– The T6 turbo engine (petrol) with a supercharger and a turbocharger produces 320 hp (235 kW, 316 bhp) and a maximum torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft, 40.8 kg-m).
– The second petrol engine is in the T5, with 254 hp (187 kW, 251 bhp) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft, 35.7 kg-m).
– The D5 twin turbo diesel engine with 225 hp (165 kW, 222 bhp), 470 Nm (347 lb-ft, 47.9 kg-m) and fuel consumption of around 6l/100 km (39.2 US mpg, 47.08 UK mpg, 16.7 km/litre).
– D4 turbo diesel engine with 190 hp (140 kW, 187 bhp), 400 Nm (295 lb-ft, 40.8 kg-m) and a fuel consumption of around 5l/100 km (47.04 US mpg, 56.5 UK mpg, 20 km/litre).
– The ‘T8’ plug-in hybrid combines a two-litre, four-cylinder supercharged and turbocharged petrol (gasoline) engine with an electric motor. In normal driving, the T8 default mode is hybrid, using the two-litre Drive-E petrol engine that powers the front wheels and an 80 hp (60 kW) electric motor that drives the rear wheels. The combined output is "around" 400 hp (292 kW, 395 bhp) and 640 Nm of torque (472 lb-ft, 65.3 kg-m). In NEDC driving cycle, carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions reach "around" 60 g/km, or 96.5 g/mile.
In low revs, the supercharger provides the boost until the turbocharger kicks in when the airflow builds up with the rising exhaust pressure. In the meantime, the electric motor is feeding the rear wheels with its constant torque.
The driver can switch to emission-free (and practically silent) city driving on pure electric power where the range will be around 40 kilometers (25 miles). He / she can revert back anytime to the combined capacity of the petrol engine and electric motor.
Volvo Cars explains that its new Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) chassis technology is designed from the start to accommodate electrification technologies, overcoming the usual repercussions of the bulk of a battery pack on the luggage or passenger space.